SILVICULTURE & TREE IMPROVEMENT DIVISION
- Silviculture and forest management techniques.
- Resource assessment and sustainable management of important forest species.
- Nursery and plantation technologies of important forest and ToF species.
- Seed technology (seed collection, handling, processing, viability, storage and germination testing) of forestry species.
- Management and control of weeds & invasive species.
- Forest economics and Biometrics.
- Wood and non-wood based forest industries in relation to raw material supply, including demand, supply and marketing of forestry/ ToF produce.
- Research and technical support for agro-forestry/ToF - practices and model development.
- Conservation, propagation and sustainable harvest of lesser known tree species.
- Establishment/ revival of preservation and sample plots for long term observational studies on growth and impact of climate change.
- Appropriate cultivation, harvesting and post harvest techniques of important NTFPs.
- Strengthening and maintenance of repositories, germplasm, etc.
- Research and knowledge management on forest fires.
- Other related contemporary forestry issues.
- To study factors affecting natural regeneration of conifers and their broad leaved associate species of North West Himalaya.
- To standardize seed, nursery and planting techniques of important forestry species of North West Himalaya.
- Studies on agroforestry systems and development of suitable agroforestry models for productivity enhancement.
- To identify provenances of important species and undertake provenance/ progeny trials for improvement of the species to increase productivity.
- Development of package and practices of temperate medicinal plants for livelihood support and augmenting farm income.
A. Plan Projects:
- Standardization of nursery techniques for mass propagation of selected medicinal plant species. PI: Dr. Sandeep Sharma (April, 2000 to March, 2007).
- Standardization of nursery techniques for raising containerized seedlings of conifers and their broadleaved associates. PI: Dr. Sandeep Sharma (April, 2000 to March, 2007).
- Developing efficient methods of preparation of compost from different locally available raw materials in different eco-climatic zones. PI: Dr. Sandeep Sharma (April, 2002 to March, 2005).
- Standardization of methodologies for collection of seed, its handling, storage, testing and certification of seeds of important tree species of HP. PI: Sh. K.S. Thakur (April, 2002 to March, 2005).
- Planting Stock Improvement Programme in Cedrus deodara. PI: Sh. K.S. Thakur (April, 2003 to March, 2010).
- Introduction and performance trial of Paulownia species for agroforestry in different agro-climatic zones of Himachal Pradesh. PI: Sh. Jagdish Singh (April 2003 to March 2008).
- Diagnostic Survey & appraisal of existing agroforestry systems in mid and high hills of Himachal Pradesh. PI: Sh. Jagdish Singh (April 2005 to March 2008).
- Diagnostic Study of Indigenous and Institutionalized Participatory Forest Management in Himachal Pradesh. PI: Sh. K.D. Sharma and Sh. Jagdish Singh (April 2005 to March 2008).
- Standardization of methodology for seed collection, seed handling, storage and breaking seed dormancy in Juniperus polycarpos C. Koch and Fraxinus xanthoxyloides (Wall. Ex G. Don) DC. PI: Sh. P.S. Negi (April, 2006 to March, 2011).
- Evaluation of soil fertility status and nutrient return from the important indigenous Agroforestry tree species in Himachal Pradesh with special reference to Hamirpur district. PI: Dr. V.P. Panwar (April 2006 to March 2011).
- Introduction and performance trials of Gmelina arborea for Agroforestry in Lower Hills of Himachal Pradesh and Jammu & Kashmir. PI: Dr. V.P. Panwar (April 2007 to March 2012).
- Determination of morphological and physiological quality parameters of nursery stock of Deodar (Cedrus deodara) and Ban oak (Quercus leucotrichophora). PI: Dr. Sandeep Sharma (April, 2007 to March, 2013).
- Development of techniques for raising Deodar (Cedrus deodara) plantations through Tall Plants. PI: Dr. Sandeep Sharma (April, 2008 to March, 2013).
- Assessment of nutritional status of most preferred wild edible plants of Kinnaur district, Himachal Pradesh. PI: Dr. A. Rajasekaran (April, 2008 - March, 2012).
- Assessment of optimum harvest limits of Picrorhiza kurroa and Valeriana jatamansi in Himachal Pradesh. PI: Dr. A. Rajasekaran (March, 2009 - March, 2014).
- Identification of superior chemotypes and ex-situ conservation of Podophyllum hexandrum Royle from Himachal Pradesh and Jammu & Kashmir (Ladakh Valley). PI: Sh. Jagdish Singh (April, 2009 - March, 2014).
- Studies on seed germination and longevity of Abies spectabilis (D.Don) Spach. PI: Sh. P.S. Negi (April, 2011 to March, 2016).
- Determination of nursery requirements and initial planting performance of Diploknema butyracea (Roxb.) H. J. Lam and Myrica esculenta Buch. Ham. under mid-hill conditions of Himachal Himalayas. PI: Dr. Sandeep Sharma (April, 2012 - March, 2017).
B. Externally Aided Projects:
- Production of Quality Planting Material of Picrorhiza kurrooa Royle ex Benth. & Valeriana jatamansi Jones and extension of their cultivation technology to local communities. PI: Dr. Sandeep Sharma (April, 2004 to March, 2008).
- Development of suitable model for intercropping of commercially important medicinal plants with horticultural plantations in the temperate region of Himachal Pradesh. PI: Sh. Jagdish Singh (April 2004 - March 2007).
- Suitability of Jatropha curcas L. seed sources in lower and mid Himalayan regions of Himachal Pradesh. PI: Dr. Sandeep Sharma (February, 2005 - February, 2011).
- Studies on natural regeneration of Pinus gerardiana Wall. in Himachal Pradesh. PI: Dr. A. Rajasekaran (April, 2005 – March, 2006).
- Studies on population status and berberine content in different provenances of Berberis aristata DC. in Himachal Pradesh and standardization of its propagation techniques. PI: Dr. A. Rajasekaran (April, 2005- March, 2008).
- Inventorization, documentation of plant diversity and to evolve site-specific management strategies for conservation of various sacred groves in Kullu Valley of Himachal Pradesh. PI: Dr. A. Rajasekaran (April, 2005 - March, 2008).
- Production of Quality Planting Material of Aconitum heterophyllum Wall. ex Royle & Angelica glauca Edgew. and extension of their cultivation technology to local communities. PI: Dr. Sandeep Sharma (April, 2006 to March, 2010).
- Promotion of medicinal plants cultivation among rural communities for sustainable income generation. PI: Sh. K.D. Sharma (March, 2006 - 31 March, 2007).
- Promotion of Medicinal Plants Cultivation among Rural Communities for Sustainable Income Generation. PI: Sh. K.D. Sharma, Sh. Jagdish Singh and Dr. V.P. Panwar (March 2006 to February 2007).
- Survey, collection, processing and analysis of soil samples pertaining to the project titled, “Studies on Assessment of Soil Carbon Stocks, and Dynamics in Forest Soils of India” with special reference to Forest Types of Himachal Pradesh and Jammu & Kashmir’. PI: Dr. V.P. Panwar (April 2008 to March 2010).
- Field Evaluation of superior accessions of Jatropha curcas L. under micro-mission programme in Himachal Pradesh. PI: Dr. Sandeep Sharma (September, 2008 to September, 2013).
- Network project on population assessment and identification of superior genetic stock of Picrorhiza kurrooa Royle ex Benth and Valeriana jatamansi Jones by screening different populations from North- Western Himalayas (H.P. and Uttarakhand). PI's: Sh. Jagdish Singh, Dr. K.S. Kapoor, Dr. Sandeep Sharma, Dr. Bikram Singh, Dr. A.R. Nautiyal, Dr. R.S. Chauhan (April, 2008 - March, 2013).
- Development of gene markers for high seed oil content and dissecting molecular basis of female flower development in Jatropha curcas towards its genetic improvement for high seed yield. PI: Dr. Sandeep Sharma (February, 2013 - February, 2016).
- Production of quality planting material of Aconitum heterophyllum Wall. ex Royle, Podophyllum hexandrum Royle & Angelica glauca Edgew and extension of their cultivation technology to local Communities. PI: Dr. Sandeep Sharma (October, 2013 - September, 2017).
- Centrally sponsored scheme of national mission on medicinal plants- Establishment of small nursery at Field Research Station (FRS) Brundhar, Jagatsukh Kullu (H.P.). PI: Sh. Jagdish Singh (April, 2014- March, 2015).
- Ethno-botanical study on indigenous medicinal and aromatic plants used by local people of Chopal Forest Division, Shimla Forest Circle, Himachal Pradesh. PI: Sh. Jagdish Singh (July, 2015- September, 2017).
A. Plan Projects:
- Standardization of Agro-Techniques and Evaluation of Growth Parameters of Juniperus polycarpos C. Koch under Nursery and Field Conditions PI: Sh. P.S. Negi (April, 2016 -March, 2021).
- Survey and evaluation of Silvi-Pastoral Systems in Himachal Pradesh and its Role in Sustaining Community Livelihood. PI: Dr. Swaran Lata (April 2016 to March 2021).
- Community Dependency on Oak Forests for Fodder and Comparative Analysis of Different Oak Species of Himachal Himalayas for Nutritive Value and Leaf Biomass Production as Influenced by Lopping, Aspect, Altitude and Crown Architecture. PI: Dr. Sandeep Sharma and Sh. P.S. Negi (February, 2017 - March, 2020).
B. Externally Aided Projects:
- Programme support on elucidation of biosynthetic pathways and development of gene markers of high valued endangered medicinal herbs of NW Himalayas (Phase II) - Collaborative project with JUIT, Waknaghat. Co.PI. Jagdish Singh (October, 2015 to September, 2020).
- Awareness Training for conservation of Pinus gerardiana (Chilgoza) through Scientific Intervention in Moorang Forest Range of District Kinnaur, Himachal Pradesh. PI: Dr. Swaran Lata (April 2016 to March 2018).
- Standardization of nursery and propagation methods of Trillium govanianum Wall. ex. D. Don (Nag- Chhatri). PI: Sh. Jagdish Singh (July, 2016 - June, 2019).
- Evaluation of Genetic superiority and stability of identified high active ingredient content accession of Picrorhiza kurroa Royal Ex Benth., Valeriana Jatamansi Jones and Podophyllum Hexandrum Royal through multi-location trails and promotion of their cultivation amongest rural communities. PI: Sh. Jagdish Singh (July, 2016- June, 2019).
- Survey, mapping, development of cultivation techniques, evaluation of selected germplasm and economics of Fritillaria roylei Hook.f., (Kakoli) an important plant of Ashtavarga Group of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants. PI: Dr. Swaran Lata (November 2017 to October 2021).
- Studies on improving livelihood generation through scientific interventions in Pinus gerardiana Wall. and important wild mushrooms in Himachal Pradesh (Funding Agency: DST, New Delhi) PI: Sh. P.S. Negi (October, 2017 -September, 2020).
- Standardization of Nursery Techniques for Mass Multiplication of Polygonatum cirrhifolium (Wall) Royle (Mahameda) and its Extension among Local Communities. (Funding Agency: NMPB, Ministry of Ayush). PI: Dr. Sandeep Sharma (October, 2017 - September, 2020).
|Name of Equipment||S.No||Name of Equipment|
|1||Seed Image Analyzer||19||Vertex Laser|
|2||Seed Germinator||20||Digital Caliper|
|3||Seed Drier||21||Increment Borer|
|4||Seed Moisture Meter||22||Pressure Chamber|
|5||Seed Blower||23||UV Vis- Spectrophotometer|
|6||Seed Grader||24||Multi Chamber Cooling Cabinet|
|7||Specific Gravity Separator with Surge Bin and Elevator||25||Portable Photosynthesis System|
|8||B.O.D. Incubator||26||Plant Canopy Analyzer|
|9||Conductivity Meter||27||Gel Documentation System|
|11||Hot Air Oven||28||Thermo cycler|
|12||Refrigerator||30||Circulating Water Bath|
|13||Sealing Machine||31||Cooling Centrifuge|
|14||Electrophoresis Assembly||32||UV- Trans-illuminator|
|15||Infra Red Thermometer||33||Laminar Air Flow|
|17||Soxhlet Apparatus||35||Electronic Balance|
|18||Deep Freezer||36||Lux Meter|
Name and Designation
Dr. Sandeep Sharma, Scientist-G & Head of Division
Sh. Jagdish Singh, Scientist-F
Dr. Swaran Lata, Scientist-C
Dr. Joginder Singh Chauhan, ACTO
Sh. Jawala Prashad, Technical Officer
Sh. Kuldesh Kumar, STA
|Ms. Drishti Sharma, Technician|
|9||Sh. Sangat Ram, Forest Range Officer|
|Sh. Ramesh Chand, Forester|
|11||Sh. Narender Sain, Forester|
|12||Sh. Sant Ram, Forester|
|13||Sh. Praveen Kumar, LDC|
|14||Sh. Jiya Lal, Forest Guard|
|15||Sh. Ramesh Chand, MTS|
|Sh. Sanjeev Kumar, MTS|
For further information, please contact:
Dr. Sandeep Sharma Scientist 'G', Head of Division
Phone:0177-2816103 Mobile No.: 94181-29759