• To assess population status of selected medicinal plants along with characterization of their habitats in North-Western Himalayas
• To identify superior genetic stock (based on high active ingredient content) of selected medicinal plants from North-Western Himalayas
• To carry out DNA finger printing of superior chemotypes
• Multiplication of superior genetic stock and establishment of demonstration plots
• Imparting training for popularizing the cultivation of Picrorhiza kurroa and Valeriana jatamansi among different stakeholders.
After carrying out extensive surveys by HFRI, Shimla and HAPPRC, Srinagar identified 41 Nos sites (H.P.-28 + UK-13) for P. kurroa ( Karu) and 51 Nos sites (H.P.-38 + UK-13) for V.jatamansi (Muskbala) respectively from different geographical locations of temperate regions of H.P. and Uttarakhand. Identified the superior genetic stock of Karu and Mushkbala by screening different populations from different geographical locations of Himachal Pradesh and Jammu & Kashmir. DNA finger printing of superior genetic stock was also carried out. Disseminated the research findings amongst different stakeholders for promotion of medicinal plants cultivation.